What Are Pfeffernüsse Cookies?
Christmas Cookies from the Innkeepers of the Oregon Bed and Breakfast Guild. This one from the Old Parkdale Inn
Pfeffernüsse are German spice cookies. Pfeffernüsse translates to peppernuts, which makes sense. These cookies are flavored with a cozy blend of warm spices, including black pepper. They traditionally contain anise. This recipe calls for shortening and margarine instead of butter, as butter tends to spread. I had butter and didn’t want to go to the store. Hence my cookies did spread a bit more than they should have but they still tasted delicious
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Place molasses, honey, shortening, and margarine in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until creamy. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Beat in eggs.
- Combine flour, white sugar, brown sugar, anise, cinnamon, cardamom, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, black pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Add molasses mixture; stir until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate dough until well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Roll dough into acorn-sized balls and place 1 inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until firm to the touch with slight cracking, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool on the baking sheets briefly before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust cooled cookies with confectioners’ sugar. Store in an airtight container.
An inspected and approved member of the Oregon Bed and Breakfast Guild, the Old Parkdale Inn is located in the Hood River Valley, the largest pear growing region in our nation.
Oregon Bed and Breakfast Guild is ready to share Oregon with you: it’s environment, culture, and heritage. Combine gracious hospitality with ambiance at an inspected and approved Oregon Bed and Breakfast Guild member Inn.
Hospitality Update: Our inns are following COVID-19 protocol guidance from the Oregon Health Authority.
Although mask guidelines are lifted:
● Some businesses may choose to still require masks.
● Some people may choose to still wear a mask.
We have all struggled through COVID-19 and could use a little kindness. Please be respectful of local businesses and their workers and most importantly kind to yourself.